I'm sure everyone is aware that today is Father's Day. It's pretty self-explanitory... Father's Day= a day to celebrate our dads! I am so thankful that we have this holiday. It's a fabulous excuse to show our dads just how much we appreciate them and their examples in our lives. Of course, I think it's important to keep in mind that we should make sure that we are thankful for our dads every day, not just on their birthdays or this holiday.
I have to say that my dad is one to go in the dad hall of fame. To list all of the amazing ways that he is (in my opinion) the greatest dad ever would never do him real justice. I think the biggest reason why I am so thankful for my dad is because while he is not perfect, he has still been the one who has, throughout my whole life been the best representation of God the Father to me. I know what my relationship with my God should be like because of the example of that relationship that my dad has had with me since I was still in my mom's tummy.
Thinking back over the years of my life and all of the things my dad has and is to me brings tears to my eyes. Time seems to go so quickly... My dad is the one who first taught me about basketball. He's the one who always let me win when we would race from outside to the kitchen door whem mom called for supper. He's the one who taught me to appreciate classic rock music, as well as how to waltz. He's the one who sang, "My Girl" to me every time I would cry after hurting myself or having a bad dream. He would lay in bed with me and read me stories from the Bible and pray with me every night before I fell asleep. He taught me how to shoot a gun. He taught me that "good" is the enemy of "best". He is the one that prayed with me when I first asked Jesus into my heart.
One thing that I have grown to look back on and appreciate with all of my heart is my dad's approach to discipline. As I grew up and disobeyed, lied or was disrespectful, my dad would justly discipline me, but every time he did this, whether it was once every few days or multiple times in one day, he would always give me a big bear hug afterwards, kiss my face and explain to me why he was punishing me. He always made sure to remind me of my wrong, but to also explain that it was out of his love for me and out of obedience to the Lord, that he needed to correct the otherwise sinful ways of my heart. I feel like this very much describes our relationship to the Lord. He is just and punishes us when we need it, but it is always for our good and out of the most intense of loves. As I look back, I see that this man (my dad) has been nothing but a constant blessing to my life. He has been and still is tough, but loving. Strong, but tender. Wise, but goofy. Heroic, but humble.
I realize that not everyone has the sort of dad that I have just described. But what is cool is that no matter what kind of various dad's we have here on earth, we have one Father who fits my earlier descriptions to a "T". He is perfect, and the way He is does not vary. With Him, there are no "types", "kinds" or "versions". He is the perfect Father.
I am the most privileged of daughters in that I have the two best dads that I could ever hope for. AND that good news is, I will get to spend eternity with both of them in Heaven. Thank you, daddy, for all you have been to me, all that you are, and all that you will be for me in my future. Luzzies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment